Hearing Aids

Deigh

I've resisted the idea of them for may years but recently my hearing has got worse and last month called on a hearing aid firm for a test. There was no getting away from it, I had to have aids. Three days ago they arrived and  were fitted so now am going through the awkward phase of getting used to them. First success was that I could have a conversation with my wife when she was driving, my right ear being practically deaf before now enabled comfortable communication.

Being able to hear sounds from all direction made a visit to the supermarket rather noisy. I will have to get used to this. Today the worst problem happened, My phone is fitted with Bluetooth so I can have a conversation comfortably, today a phone call came in with phone in the next room but the calling sound hit me like an explosion! Obviously I must switch off the Bluetooth and only re-connect it when answering a call.

Fortunately the cost of the device was covered by ACC otherwise I'd be weak at the knees paying  for them.

Deigh

• 2 weeks later...

Deigh I'm so glad you gave in and have hearing aids!

Will certainly make a difference with day to day activities!

Hearing aids have come a long way. The Bluetooth is a weird one. We'll be driving along and wayne will start talking to someone, through his hearing aids!

Hope you get used to them soon

💚👑

Yeah, the bluetooth part is a bit tricky, I'm a member of Probus which is a group for active retirees. I've had to leave early when they have speakers because I just couldn't hear them, I think it is possible for the sound system to be fitted with bluetooth so that everyone could hear what was being said. Then I'll have no excuse for leaving early!

Deigh.

• 2 weeks later...

There's an upside and downside to hearing aids:

Upside: you can hear everything that's being said

Downside: you can hear everything that's being said 

💚🕊

Would you belive it, stroke actually took away my tinitus! It also took away my regular mind bending headaches. Nearest I get to a headache these days is a tightness around my eyes. 

Getting the aids under control now, I have a program on my phone that enables me to do temporary changes to the volume, this is very handy when in too noisy an atmosphere or the reverse when listening to a speaker at a distance.

Deigh